Mexico Visa Requirements and
Mexican Immigration

In this page find out about Mexico visa requirements and tips about Mexican immigration.

Mexico Visa Exempt Countries

Here is the list of countries for which their citizens do not require visa to enter Mexico as tourists or for business:

Andorra, Argentina, Aruba, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bahamas, Bulgary, Canada, Cyprus, South Korea, Costa Rica, Denmark, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, USA, Estonia, Finland, France, Great Britain , Greece, Hungary, Hong Kong, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Norway, New Zealand, Netherlands, Panama, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Romania, San Marino, Singapore, Sweden, Switzerland, Uruguay and Venezuela.

Citizens from countries not listed in the above list traveling as tourists or in business, will need to go to one of the Mexican consular offices around the world to request a visa. The required documentation will vary depending on the place of the consular office so is best to ask in the country where the visa will be requested.

Other Things to Know About Mexican Immigration

  • Tourists can only stay up to 180 days or an extension needs to be requested in the closest immigration office (Instituto Nacional de Migracion). You will need your passport, departure immigration form provided when you entered the country, proof of economic solvency, and the payment of a fee.

  • All foreigners entering the country will need to fill in the new form FMM (Forma Migratoria Multiple), which has two parts two it. The first is the entry registry and the second one is the departure registry. You will need to keep the departure registry safely because it will be requested at the time of departure. Important: If you lose it, you will need to go to the nearest immigration office to pay a fee before a release letter is provided.

  • If you plan to visit Mexico to work, to study a degree, to do religious activities, or journalism, you will need to request a visa before traveling to Mexico in the nearest consular office. If you are already in Mexico you will need to find the nearest immigration office. The documentation requested for each activity is different, and there may be variations depending on your country of origin so it's best to call the nearest consular office or immigration office for details.

  • An APEC Business travel card approved by Mexico, is an alternative method of entering the country without a visa when traveling on business.

  • You can change your immigration status once you are in Mexico by visiting the nearest immigration office (Instituto Nacional de Migracion).

Cruise Ships to Mexico

If you arrive in Mexico in a cruise ship, the Mexican Immigration Department allows you to visit the country without the need of a visa regardless of nationality. Cruise line will take care of the immigration paperwork for you.

New! Comments

Have your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below.